General Questions

Expand all | Collapse all

How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

• 1.  How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-04-2020 11:04 PM
    Background:
    - All Cache, Sequence instances and SQL tables are created with CacheMode.REPLICATED
    - Instance replacements in AWS - a new instance is created - the old instance is stopped.
    - Both instances are available for about 5 minutes. System works fine.
    - After the old instance is removed, the SQL Queries fail with
     ClusterTopologyServerNotFoundException: Failed to map keys for cache (all partition nodes left the grid).
    - Even after a few hours to have both instances up at the same time, the data is not replicated to the second instance.

The logs show e.g.
    [2020-01-04T23:03:01,461][INFO ][exchange-worker-#39%blue-3.208.31.170%][GridCacheProcessor] Started cache [name=SQL_PUBLIC_CALL, id=-2066699933, memoryPolicyName=default, mode=REPLICATED, atomicity=ATOMIC, backups=2147483647, mvcc=false], encryptionEnabled=false]

(1) How can I monitor that the cache instances and tables are replicated to the new node?
    (2) Is there a way to say that replication is #1 priority for the new node?
    (3) It seems that per SQL table it has to be created WITH "template=replicated".
    Is there a way to set this and other "WITH" parts for tables as default?

------------------------------
    Thanks - Jorg

• 2.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-05-2020 12:09 AM
    Edited by Jorg Janke 01-05-2020 12:19 AM
    ... sorry fails with
    .sql: Failed to find data nodes for cache: 

... very odd the editor removed the exception text - 

java.sql.SQLException: javax.cache.CacheException: Failed to find data nodes for cache:

• 3.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-06-2020 09:17 AM
    Most likely the data rebalancing didn't finish by the time you shut down the node. Use these metrics to monitor the rebalancing process.

Also, could you tell a bit more about your configuration - how many nodes you are targeting to have, how much data to store and why the caches are replicated and not partitioned?

Denis

• 4.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-06-2020 10:02 AM
    Edited by Jorg Janke 01-06-2020 10:02 AM
    Thanks Denis - will try to get the metrics.
    It is an embedded instance (AWS Elastic Beanstalk - Tomcat) with 1-4 notes based on demand.
    as the in AWS may kill any instance - usually the oldest one - so to keep the it needs to . The data volume might be 500MB.

Jorg 

• 5.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-06-2020 10:11 AM
    Jorg, thanks for the details. I would recommend reviewing "Client-Server" deployment option as well. That mode can simplify the maintenance of the Ignite/GridGain cluster once you are in production.

Denis

• 6.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-07-2020 12:08 PM
    Thanks Denis,

It seems that the rebalancing process is not started.  For both - the old and the new server the
    RebalancingStartTime = -1 (assuming that the rebalancing process does also the replication).

Both servers have Ignition.isClientMode = false and .isDeamon = false with the Ignition.state(nodeName) as STARTED
    There is also no thread with something like "rebalance" on either machine.
    In the log of the new instance, I found:
    [2020-01-07T19:36:45,997][INFO ][exchange-worker-#39%blue-54.158.100.161%][GridCachePartitionExchangeManager] Skipping rebalancing (nothing scheduled) [top=AffinityTopologyVersion [topVer=2, minorTopVer=0], force=false, evt=NODE_JOINED, node=57bc10fe-1505-4e8e-9987-52c9c903c6ef]

What do I need to do to schedule the rebalancing?

It seems you suggest to use dedicated servers - although the Embedded configuration seems to support exactly the use case.
    The general use case is to use Ignite as Tomcat Cache. Here you want to maintain the cache regardless of how many nodes there are and the initial are dropped.
    Is it an invalid assumption that embedded Ignite instances maintain/transfer state between instances?

Jorg

• 7.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-07-2020 01:13 PM
    Hi Jorg, 

Ignite behaves similarly in the embedded mode. The only implication is that you'll be restarting a server node each time you need to redeploy your application (Tomcat instance) triggering rebalancing. You are just coupling storage maintenance (Ignite) and apps maintenance lifecycle, but this might be perfectly fine for your use case.

As for the replicated caches, those are still partitioned caches in a sense that one node will store a primary copy of a partition while all the others will keep a backup one. By default, all requests still will be routed to a node that holds the primary copy, and for key-value APIs you can use readFromBackups parameter to allow reading from the backup copies of other Tomcat instances. However, this parameter has no effect for SQL queries that are executed only via primary copies of the partitions. This page explains partitioned caches in more detail.

Please attach all the log files you have and Ignite configuration so that either I or my colleagues can check what's going on with your cluster.

Denis

• 8.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-07-2020 08:18 PM
    Thanks Denis,

We do the configuration via Java, so I hope, that the configuration from the log contains all the info required:
     -3.94.163.90, , , , , , , , , , , , , =/opt/ignite, =/opt/ignite/work, sunJmxMBeanServer@548c4f57, -a010-4f01-9e73-cb5f7162ca5c,  [], , , , , , , , , , 

[, , , , , , , , , ], , , , , , 

[, apacheignitecommunicationtcpTcpCommunicationSpi$FirstConnectionPolicy@546e5e58, , , , , , , =-1, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , =-1, =-1, , , , concurrentCountDownLatch@630dd1a6Count = 1], ], 
    apacheigniteNoopEventStorageSpi@6b4b15b2,  [],  [], apacheigniteindexingnoopNoopIndexingSpi@28f3e636, , apacheigniteencryptionnoopNoopEncryptionSpi@6555f629, , , 

[, , , , , , , , , ], 
    , , , , , , , , , , , , 

[, , port=11211, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ], 
    , , 

[, , backups=1, , ], 
    , , , , , , 

, , , , 

[, , , , , .9, , , , , , ], 
    , , , , , , , , , , /, //archive, , , , , , , , , apacheigniteinternalprocessorscachepersistencefileAsyncFileIOFactory@19ba6b94, , , =-1, , , , , 
    , , , , 

[, port=10800, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ], 
    , , , , 
    ​

I attached two log files - one from the first instance the second from the new instance.
    To verify we went back from Gridgain 8.7.10 to Ignite 2.7.6 - but exactly the same behavior.

The CacheConfigurations are set via:
    	private CacheConfiguration @Nonnull CacheConfiguration ) {
    		// https://www.gridgain.com/docs/latest/developers-guide/data-rebalancing
    		REPLICATED);
    		1);
    		ATOMIC);
    		SYNC);
    		0);
    		true);
    		return ;
    	}

Looking at the Gridgain Web Console, I noticed that the new instance is not "in baseline" (see attachment)
    and that only the first instance has persistent storage.

In the doc, it is mentioned, that for replication/rebalancing the nodes need to be in the same baseline without mentioning how to do that
    (I hoped that that is automatic). On the IgniteCluster, there are some topology methods - do I need to update that from the application?

Thanks again!

Jorg

• 9.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-07-2020 08:23 PM
    Edited by Jorg Janke 01-07-2020 08:35 PM
    It seems the forum software removes data - the was copied from the log file.
    The java method:
    private CacheConfiguration @Nonnull CacheConfiguration ) {
    REPLICATED); 1);
    ATOMIC);
    SYNC);
    0);
    true);
    ; }

It seems the logs were not uploaded. Here the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbufcu3gmr98c3l/2020-01-07_19-50-52.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmlbxzayl34y6t7/2020-01-07_19-54-16.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ts9h5ol380iau9/ignite-first-instance.log?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vv5q2tjvs0vwe84/ignite-new-instance.log?dl=0

Jorg

• 10.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-07-2020 08:38 PM
    ... the update mangled the java code 

Jorg

• 11.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-08-2020 10:26 AM
    Hi,

In case of using persistence, you should change BaselineTopology manually after starting or stopping server nodes. It was done to get rid of redundant rebalance in case of short node outages or adding several nodes in a row.

It can be done using code(IgniteCluster) or using control.sh. Here is more information about API: https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/baseline-topology#section-setting-baseline-topology
    More information about BaselineTopology itself: https://www.gridgain.com/resources/blog/apache-ignites-baseline-topology-explained

Evgenii

Evgenii Zhuravlev
    Team Lead
    GridGain Systems

• 12.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-08-2020 09:36 PM
    Thanks Evgenii!
    Perfect!

Jorg

• 13.  RE: How can I determine if/that a note is replicated?

Posted 01-09-2020 12:33 PM
    Ignite community will improve the log message to avoid any confusion in the future: http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Hint-for-user-that-baseline-topology-should-be-changed-in-order-to-trigger-rebalance-td45023.html

Denis

Would you attend a July Meetup?

Announcements